Wednesday 10 December 2008

B L D No. 10


















































Do you have coloured lights or white lights on your tree or house? We have probably had the same coloured lights on our tree for over 30 years. We have three strings of lights and a small twinkling set that we place near the top of the tree. Wahid is the one who does the lights and I am always yelling in the background to hide the cord within the branches. Some years it has looked like the lights are just sitting on top of the tree.

Outside the house we have white lights that I hired a handyman to hook-up one year. Wahid was kinda pissed because I would ask him every year and it never got done, so I thought ‘I want those lights and I’m getting them.’ Cost me 80 doll hairs but it is worth it.

What is your favourite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? This is a no brainer for me. Stuffing, especially the way my Dad makes it. I want some right now. God, could you lend us back our Dad as he has a Christmas dinner to prepare.

Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Yes, if I’m lucky enough to get one. Some years I haven’t. Christmas Eve is spent at my parents with all the extended family and so there are a lot of gifts getting exchanged for godchildren and grandkids.

Do you ice-skate? When I was younger I skated all of the time. There is a hockey arena just around the corner from where we lived and my parents had bought a family pass (yes, we got our moneys worth). We skated all of the time. When Angelique and Nadalene were small I took them and my ankles killed me in less than ½ a second. By the time Nathan came I never even made the attempt.

Candy canes, yuck or yum? Yum…. I like them, but don’t love them. I think I like looking at them way more than eating them.

10 comments:

Meg said...

colored light on tree and apartment, the more the better
mashed poatoes
not really, I can go in a straight line, crash into a wall, turn, repeat.
candy canes - gross, except for these sweet tart ones I found this year, which I am a big fan.

Meg said...

yep, I am jen of patrick and jen. meghan is my middle name, I didn't think about how confusing that would be when I first set it up on blogger, and now I am stuck with it! That is my ring, i'm so glad you like it, I love it. we designed it with a jeweler, amy tavern, and used a family stone his grandmother gave us.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I love mashed potatoes, onions and stuffing, some gravy, vegtables are my favourate, Mmmmmmmm.
Like Chrsitmas dinner better than the Christmas pud. I use to be able to skate. I went to skate again when around 25 years old, fell over loads of times and was sore for a fortnight. My freinds and I laughed how silly and bad we become at skating.
God, yeah bring Dad back to cook some good stuffing.

GlorV1 said...

We use the same ornaments and eat the same things every year. Actually I think we are having ham this year. Take care and if I don't see you, Merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Christmas lights outside? 3 fir trees decorated with lights (our 3 sons). favorite food? Stuffing and tortiere
Nix the candy canes. I haven't skated in years. My 3yr. old grandsons skate better than me.
Barb

Anonymous said...

I have white lights on my tree. K would love some "rainbow lights" but I went with a prelit tree after taking 7 hours to put the tree and lights up last year. It ended up in the dumpster after new years! I love my mom's broccoli casserole. I have not skated in years, but love when I do, and suffer for days. I love the taste of peppermint and so therefore, love candy canes! These really get me in the spirit!

Anonymous said...

I only like looking at candy canes unless they are the spearmint flavoured ones.
My favourite Christmas food is my Mom's shortbread which I have tried to make but it never is as "melt-in-your-mouth as hers.
I miss my dad buying the tree and then having to drill branches in all the bare spots.

My all-time favourite Christmas memory is only 3 years old. It was the first Christmas after I finished chemo and all that stuff. My sister came from Regina with her family including newly married son and wife.
We have one year's Xmas video from when the kids were small. Chris wanted to show Wendy all the boys as kids so everyone went downstairs and I stayed in the kitchen to do those things that you want to do alone just before the "big" feast and I heard them laughing and saying "oh remember this." etc etc and then the part came on where my Dad was playing his beloved banjo( it was our third Christmas without him) and the kids singing to the carols and I closed my eyes and thanked God for the most perfect Christmas gift...my family together and all sharing the same memories and making new ones together.....and that's my favourite Christmas memory.

Flo

Renee said...

Flo you brought me right there with you. I was honestly standing in the kitchen listening, only it was to a different family.

Thank you for that memory.

Love Renee xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

wow, "I am" made me laugh at the dumpster.
Flo made me cry at the Christmas thoughts/happiness it brings.

When I spent a Christmas away I learned the value of a true family christmas. Mine was made the best it could have been given the circumstances. Actually, it was quite a beauitful small christmas (unlike the ginormous beautiful ones in winnipeg.) but we were sitting together on Christmas just to see a little Mouse run up our tree!! Not the gift we were expecting; but being in the holiday spirit I put out some cheese... which needless to say was later put on a trap. hahaha.

My ultime favorite christmas was a few years ago. It wasn't the gifts, to be quite honest I can't even attempt at naming anything I recieved besides my 84(correct me if i'm wrong) year old grandpa dressed as Santa for 4 adult children ringing a bell and saying merry christmas! ho ho ho! hahahahahahah loving the thought, crying at the miss...
thanks for the morning meal aunty renee

xoxox
Taylor

Emerald Arts said...

I don't have any lights at all, the suburb I live in is lovely and multicultural, but also rather thefty, bogans (rednecks over there I think) come into the city by train and nick everything that isn't tied down. My parents have lights, but they don't usually set up the tree until the day before christmas because it's up at our holiday house at Hawks Nest.

Christmas Day is always blisteringly hot. We swim in the mornings after presents, then have a ridiculously big roast turkey lunch, which is kind of wierd considering the weather, then we sleep for a couple of hours, then swim again :P