Wednesday 19 November 2008

Wednesday's Women No. 6


















I really should be paying more attention to this recipe. But my mind keeps wandering and I really don’t know why. I mean really what is to wonder about, I have everything I need, my life is wonderful, and I really couldn’t be more interested in this recipe or in my life (whose life, do I mean my husband and my children).

Ouch! Those are dangerous thoughts.

What could be better than to wake up at 5:00 every morning, and then ever so slowly remove the covers so that the Mr. doesn’t get disturbed? It almost makes me giggle when I think how happy I must make him and the children when they wake up and I am already all made up for their viewing pleasure.

While in the kitchen, that most heavenly place this earth has to offer, I get their breakfast ready. I was saying to the Mr. just the other evening, that if I didn’t have his pancakes, bacon and eggs, fresh squeezed orange juice and coffee ready for him first thing in the morning, I don’t know if I could live with myself.

Ouch! I had to pinch myself there because I had an original thought that asked ‘Are there other things I could do with myself?’ I am so ashamed.

I think of my day and how after the children go to school and the Mr. goes off to work I rush up the stairs to change into an old work dress so that I can get this clean home even cleaner. I repeat over and over to myself while cleaning that I only have six hours to do it, in case I get carried away while on my hands and knees over at the middle-bottom stair near the basement polishing that dull spot to a glimmer like I did last week. Gee darn.

Ouch! Where in heaven’s name did that come from? I have to be more careful with my language.

Had my shower, did my makeup and really only had to do a touchup on my hair, those hairnets are magic. Nothing is as satisfying as being right on schedule.

By the time the Mr. comes home I will have his supper ready and waiting. I really don’t know what I would do without canned peas and Campbell’s soup.

I was telling my daughters (of course I wouldn’t talk like this to my son) that my goal in life is to hear their father (my Mr.) tell me that my cooking is heavenly. Oh the day that happens, I will have achieved one of my few dreams.

Ouch! My domestic feelings (I have no others) are so hurt as my daughters both told me that I live in a cage. Look Mom, they said, you can’t even swing the bottom of the door open unless you remove your flowers that took you all day to arrange.

I will talk to the Mr. when he comes home from work; of course after I get his slippers, his paper, and his pipe, and of course after he has his dinner and his evening drink. Actually I will talk to him just after I turn on his light and hand him his book to read for the evening.

Ouch! Actually I think I will just swallow that bit of disappointment, after all he works hard all day.

Oh well, back to the dinner. I am just thinking that maybe I could make that jellied salad, the one with the corn, carrots, and beets.

When I look at this cookbook, I know what makes me happy. Not only is my cooking heavenly, so is my life; and the best thing of all is that I will do exactly what I did today for the next six days and then they will be repeated over a 52 week period. Like the Mr. says, he sure wishes he had it as easy as me. Well then…..

Ouch! I don’t know what is wrong with me today, I think these thoughts that pop into my head are trying to sabotage my wonderful life.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch ouch ouch!!!!!!!

Flo

Anonymous said...

This is truely a great read. Inside your mind and reading your thoughts. It is enchanting and amusing! Brilliant!

Anonymous said...

thank god for evolution!
i've got to be more than just the mrs ....
oops "just don't tell the mr."
ouch ouch (naughty naughty girl for having bad thoughts...i just don't know what's gotten into me lately)

stay strong....just keep swallowing
jacquie

Anonymous said...

Thank you for looking at my blog. I am so new here, still learning. Please check my out on you tube, where I have more going on. Look under lpatencio.

Peace

tascha said...

HI Renee!
Great to meet you! I wish I would be at the one of a kind show. I am always so busy with ebay and etsy that I never seem to have much time to pursue anything else. It is always such a great show though, and I hope I can go see it this year.
Cheers!
Tascha

Anonymous said...

Hi Renee, So pleased you enjoyed reading about my Nana and Grandad. I didn't realise Grandad sat so regal in each photo. Do you know, he was like this always. Can you imagine Grandad being a quiet man and my nana loving to visit friends and shopping. We saw her nearly everyday. Glad it made you laugh also. Great to see the funny side of life.
Loads of blessings!

Anonymous said...

HILARIOUS HILARIOUS HILARIOUS !!!!

I don't know if I spelt that right I will have to ask the Mr. he is a teacher you know. Honestly had a good laugh over this one.

Anonymous said...

i bet she is cutting up vegetables tonight as i type this for tomorrow's chicken pot pie,
this was so funny Renee,
what a great read,
Nite nite
xoxo