Sunday 21 December 2008

B L D No. 21
















































The ‘Medical Observer Weekly’ states that friendly Christmas deeds could actually reduce your risk of dying in the next five years by up to 60%.

A U.S. study found that older people who do not help others are more than twice as likely to die as people who give some help. This reinforces the notion that it really is better to give than to receive.

University of Michigan psychologist ‘Stephanie Brown’ noted that making a contribution to the lives of other people may help extend our own lives.

In other words it isn’t what we get from relationships that make contact with others so beneficial; it is what we give.

What I found interesting was that while researchers found an association between reduced risk of dying and giving help; there was no association between receiving help and reduced death risk.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pictures of helping people are amazing.The studies make me curious and make me think. Definitely food for thought.But from my experience, I'm not sure I totally agree. I'll have to ponder this a bit more (and maybe do more!)
Love you, Barb

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures especially the cowboy and the birds - xoxo

YayaOrchid said...

My favorite pics are the cowboy and the robins too! Gorgeous, gorgeous!!

Very nice thoughts on the merits of being a generous and giving person. I don't know if it's true that it makes you live longer, but kind people have a certain beauty that aging does not affect.

GlorV1 said...

I agree that giving is better than receiving, but the age thing...I don't know about that. I have found from my experiences in life that I always feel better within myself when I give. It frees your spirit somehow. Merry Christmas.