Thursday 25 December 2008

On The 1st Day


















The 12 days of Christmas song represent the 12 days between the birth of Jesus (Christmas, December 25th) and the coming of the Magi (Epiphany, January 6th).

In England during the period of 1558 to 1829 it was prohibited to practice the Catholic faith in England. It was a crime during that time to be a Roman Catholic. Many believe that the 12 days of Christmas song was one of the ‘Catechism songs’ which was used to help (secret) young Roman Catholics learn the tenets of their faith.

The song was used as a memory aid for Catholics in a time where to be caught with anything in writing indicating adherence to the Catholic faith could get you imprisoned, beheaded or hanged.

The song’s 12 gifts are hidden meanings to the teachings of Catholicism. The ‘true love’ mentioned in the song refers to God.

On the first day of Christmas,
my true love sent to me
a partridge in a pear tree….

The partridge in a pear tree represents Jesus Christ.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Twelve Days of Christmas is our Family's favorite Christmas song, a tradition at our annual Family sing song. Thanks for the info on its meaning. Our family from Edmonton arrive tonight by train after air line troubles/ cancellations. We're anxiously anticipating their arrival.
Christmas blessings,
Barb

Anonymous said...

well that is something I never knew.. now I must find out what the other gifts were for.

GlorV1 said...

Yes thanks for the information on the real meaning of the Twelve Days of Christmas. Hope you Christmas was a fun and happy one.

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that the 12 days were after the birth of Jesus I thought they were the 12 days of shopping before Christmas day. How shallow eh I had put it up there with I'm dreaming of a white Christmas. I really learned something here and I also can not wait to find out the rest. It is a song that will have a much stronger meaning to me I can see that already Love this post and love you.

Anonymous said...

Renee, I never knew what this song represents. I will hold it more dear to my heart now. Thank you so much for sharing with us. Your a star!